Monday, November 14, 2011

Lightswitch


She was always off and on
like a little girl
playing with a lightswitch
I don’t think my eyes ever adjusted
and now it seems her bulb burnt out.

She left the room, her hand hung back
to catch the switch on the way out
she left me, a ship out to sea
wondering what happened
to the lighthouse

She pulled the clouds
like a shade ‘cross the sun
then ripped them away
just when I looked up
to see where it had gone

She coaxed the moon
into hiding her face
at the right wrong time
when I needed a friend, just
when I thought my ship was coming in

Though I miss her light
I’m not sitting alone in the dark
I still have the stars
to keep me company
Though I miss her light
I won’t lose my way
I still have Polaris
to get me through the night
I’ll steer by the stars
to get me through the night

No comments:

Post a Comment